Friday, October 3, 2008

Shorties...

I had to do a writing exercise. I had to layer some memories, one on top of the other. In ten minutes. You had to find yourself waking up in your house, but not in your bed. It was pretty fun. Here is that short story for you.  Hope you enjoy it.



I wake up on the kitchen floor.  Did I fall asleep? It's so uncomfortable.  I lift my head up and feel that my jaw is sore. I shake it out and notice that I've laying in a pool of my own drool. I never drool.  I remember my dream.  It was a dream about him again.  It was a terrible dream.  I push myself off the tiled floor. I'm in pain and stiff as a bored.  I roll my neck around trying to loosen it up.  How could I have been so tired that I fell asleep on the kitchen floor? Maybe I passed out.  This doesn't make any sense.  
I notice the coffee is already made and the dishes have been cleaned.  Did I do it?  I don't know why I can't remember anything. I see the plate of left-overs from last night.  Tuna casserole. Yum.
I look over and notice that the freezer door is open. I go over to close it and I see something blue.  Electric blue.  It's heavenly. I reach in to pull it out and feel the soft powder-like texture.  It's a rose.  I have never seen one this color.  I put it to my nose.  It touches my lips as I smell it. Sweet and salty. I suddenly remember where it came from.

He was here last night. I was surprised to see him when I opened the door.  I remember it was so hot outside, the thickness of it moved in.  I told him to hurry in and I closed the door behind him.  He took off his hat and wiped his forehead with his arm.  His hair had curled a little from the heat and sweat.  He looked sweet.  I could tell he had walked a long way.  He pulled the rose from behind his back and I remember it felt like my heart stopped.  I asked him where it came from and he said "I found it by the lake." I reached out to take the rose and felt my hand touch his hand.  He looked at me strangely.  Did he feel it too?  I know love him. All this time I've loved him.
We walk to the kitchen so I can put it in a vase and he tells me I have to keep it in the freezer for two days.  For some reason, this doesn't seem strange.  I open the freezer and let the cold air fall on me for a bit, and then I put the rose down on top of the ice.  
  
I'm not sure what happened after that. Only somehow I woke up on the floor.  I want him near me again. I look down at the rose. I look closely at the blue.  I remember this blue. It's so specific, so vibrant. How could I not have seen it before?

I was seven years old walking with my father along the lake.  It was my birthday.  My father told me he had a surprise for me.  He had me close my eyes.  He guided me by my shoulders down to the edge of the water.  I felt the dirt get softer and sink beneath my feet and toes.  He told me to open my eyes.  And there it was.  The most beautiful boat I've ever seen. It was blue.  That same blue.  That feeling of happiness overcomes me all over again.  I look down at the rose and start to feel anxious and worried.  I walk out my door and onto the street.  The sun is almost down and it is blue outside. Blue like the boat and blue like the rose. I need to find him. I need to hold him in my arms and tell him I love him. I need to tell him that everything will be okay.  I need him.
I start running.  I run so hard my mouth gets dry and my throat hurts.  I get to the end of the road and I remember. I remember what happened.
I get to the dirt and I start to cry.  I cry so hard I can't even stand.  I reach out and I feel the smooth stone.  I feel the ridges that spell his name. I lay there.  Wishing I could take it back. Just this one time.







1 comment:

My name is Erin. said...

I cried. That was beautiful, Ashley.